Waterside, Patna, nr Ayr
Ayrshire, KA6 7JH
WEBSITE UPDATES - the most recent changes are shown in red below. Just click on the link to view the page. The date in brackets shows when the page was updated.
Latest News (to end of Mar 2016)
The Scottish Industrial Railway Centre is operated by volunteers from the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group, Charity Number SC 016127.
Copyright 2016 Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group. All rights reserved. All images shown are with the Copyright Holders permission.
(page updated 02 Apr 2016 NG)
The most important task at the present time is to complete the relaying of the four tracks (or roads, as we refer to them) leading up to the Locomotive Shed. Roads 1, 2 & 3 have all been relaid, and connected up to the existing tracks, with the first two roads ballasted and useable. Road 3 has been partially ballasted.
Road four which is occupied by the LMS Inspection Saloon inside the Shed, can be left until time permits as there is no immediate need for this road to be brought into service meantime.
This has allowed us to move No. 10 out of the Loco Shed from Road 3 where she had been stored over the winter months, and repositioned in road 1, which is much more convenient for the Boiler Inspection.
Newly ballasted track (roads) outside the Loco Shed. Roads are numbered Left to Right 1, 2, 3 & 4. The photo shows Charlie Loarridge and Ken Middleditch at the head of Road 1.
A reminder of what the roads leading up to the Loco Shed were like in November 2015. You can perhaps appreciate how much work has been carried out since then.
Sentinel Locomotive Works No. 10012 of 1959 seen here propelling some of our rolling stock out over newly relaid and ballasted road 1 at Dunaskin Loco Shed. This loco was the only diesel engine ever to work over the Waterside system in National Coal Board Opencast Executive days.
The Sentinel again in action, this time on road 2 outside Dunaskin Loco Shed. Seen here repositioning Barclay diesel works No. 399 built in 1956 (on the left) along with North British works No. 27644 built in 1959. Unfortunately, neither of these locomotives are in running condition at the present time.